Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Day 4 was a great day of riding, a leisurely 120 miles, about 80 of them on historic Route 66. I started out the day riding back to the entrance to Williams to get a photo of these guys.


This is Cruiser's 66 Cafe where I enjoyed some music after dinner last night - it was pretty cool.


Back on I-40, it was a beautiful morning, about 75 degrees and breezy. The scenery was beautiful and expansive. On Sherm's suggestion, I left I-40 at Seligman, a cute little town with a lot of Route 66 history and memorabilia. After that was Truxton, mostly a ghost town, but on the far end of town is a place called the Gas & Grub, run by a young couple, Zack and Crystal. It was a quaint little place, and I met Bert the donkey and took a few pics there.


Bert was playing peek-a-boo behind the fence rail :)

 

And a cool old wind mill...



Down the road a bit was Hackberry, and a really cool old general store. What a neat place!



The proprietor's nice '59 Corvette


I think this guy's seen better days :)


Look, it's 'Mater! Well, not quite, it's not a tow truck.

 Just some shots from around the grounds.



And inside the store.




I met some folks from Norway. There was a group of about 5 bikes. They rented them in L.A., and were touring the southwest. From here they were headed to Las Vegas, San Francisco, and back to L.A. I don't know how they tolerated that hot clothing, it was in the mid-90's already, and it wasn't even noon.

Only one of the ladies really spoke much English, and she was pretty amazed that I had ridden all the way across the country on my own. They wanted to take my picture, so I took theirs too! Nice couple.

This afternoon Sherm and Pat showed me around town a bit in Kingman, including an early dinner at In n' Out Burger. Yum! Those folks make a really good burger. We need that in Atlanta. Or maybe not... After dinner we drove out to the Crazy Horse Store, one of Sherm's favorite places to ride to just a few miles from their house. The ride up there is indeed beautiful, and the store was pretty cute. I signed my name in the guest book, just a few entries down from some other VROCers who visited recently from New Zealand. Sherm brings everybody here! :)



This guy guards the parking lot :)



That's it for tonight. An early start tomorrow to get across Death Valley before the heat sets in. I'll post more from California tomorrow :) G'night all!





No comments:

Post a Comment